In 5 years of being a Personal trainer, I have never heard a client say to me that they would like to improve their immune system. I get it is a lot less desirable than “lose weight, tone up” or “run a half marathon” or “get ripped” which the majority of clients are after, but here is why I think it should be priority number 1…
Accepting being ill is crazy
It has always been a mystery to me how so many people manage to get ill time and time again. For some, they only have to walk past the junior school to pick up the latest common cold. What is even more of a mystery to me is that those who get it, accept it.
Let me break it down…
If you catch a cold, flu, bug, virus or whatever it may be once a year on average (some may catch these even more) – Let’s say that the illness takes 10 days to leave your system… If you lived to the average life expectancy in the UK (81.5) then you will spend 2 years and 2 months of your life being ill… To me, that is totally unacceptable!
I totally pride myself on my immune system. This may sound arrogant, and ok maybe it is, but at least I am not stood here with my top off on instagram, I am simply saying that I literally can’t remember the last time I was ill through anything other than self inflicting hangovers or one bad bout of food poisoning.
Is this genetics… No, trust me it isn’t. Nor is it from hours of intense exercise. It is simply from consistent activity and a healthy relationship with food (I too like a takeaway and a few beers at the weekend)
How can you train yours
- Be consistent in your activity levels – This is so important so listen up. I have seen people over the years binge on exercise.. By this I mean not doing anything for a month and then going as hard as they can every day for 5 days… Guess what. They get ill. Your body will not be able to cope with the sudden amount of stress through exercise and your immune system will suffer. No your limits.
- No crash diets – Limiting your body of calories and vital nutrients is only ever going to end up in a potential illness. If you restrict your body of fuel, it will break down. Simple. I see people go mental in the gym and try to live off of 1200 calories… This is barely enough for normal function let alone fighting off a potential illness.
- Sleep – One of the most common causes of illness is through fatigue. The easiest way to fatigue is through lack of sleep. Prioritise it. If you are 30 minutes late for work then that is better than having a week off through illness. (except you Meg and Char… Be on time)
- Poor nutrition – pretty obvious. Inflammatory foods are a massive cause of killing your immune system. Sugar is the obvious one but I would highly recommend restricting or cutting out dairy. I did this 4 years ago and haven’t been ill since.
- Supplements – If you want to seriously bullet proof your immune system then I would recommend taking magnesium, iron, Vit B6 and Vit D.
If I offered you an extra 2 years on your life you’d take it right… Well here is your chance to fight off those illnesses and have an extra 2 years of health rather than bed bound illness!
Like I always say – My immune system is like the SAS and if anything gets through them guys then I have the snipers there to back them up…
Don’t let anything through.